Adding Keyword Data to Google Analytics
Here is a quick little Chrome extension I had thrown together to get keyword data added into Google Analytics. [Install]
At present, it has the following features on the Organic Keyword Traffic section of GA, you will see 4 additional columns with new data…
- CPC: The estimated cost per click of the keyword in google adwords
- Search Volume: The estimated monthly local (US) traffic for the keyword
- Traffic Value: The value of the traffic you received (CPC*Your Traffic)
- Estimated Rank: The estimated rank of your site in Google for that keyword over the previous 30 days
For this tool to work, you will need an API Key from Grep Words. I am thinking about adding in SEMRush as well, but it is a bit more expensive than GrepWords. If a lot of you use it, let me know and I can add it in. Let me know in the comments or via twitter (@rjonesx) if you would like these features added to the plugin.
There are some current limitations.
- The script currently makes no distinction between Google Organic and others. Your best bet is to only pay attention to the data when you have set the advanced segment to be source as Google.
- The script currently makes a poor Estimated Rank estimation if you are doing anything other than 30 days. I should have this fixed soon enough
Unfortunately the Google Chrome Developer Dashboard is screwed up right now so it won’t accept new registrants, which means I have to link directly to the extension here for the time being…
- Install the extension here
- Click on “Options” under the Grep Analytics extension and add your GrepWords API Key.
- Navigate to the Organic Search section of your Analytics and you are good to go!
Let me know what you think and any other improvements you would like to see! Tweet me @rjonesx if you have any questions!No tags for this post.